BECE candidates worried

Some BECE candidates writing the exams

Some BECE candidates writing the exams

CANDIDATES writing this year’s Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) were disappointed at the various examination centres across the country, following the cancellation of five of the papers by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC).

They were confused and puzzled as most of them reported to the centres in the morning, unaware of the cancellation.

Students who spoke to The Ghanaian Times at some centres in Accra, expressed displeasure and dissatisfaction about the move, and called on WAEC to rescind its decision.

A visit to the Odorgonno, Accra High and Accra Academy Senior High Schools (SHS) showed candidates loitering at the schools’ campuses helpless and confused.

Stephen Arthur, a candidate from a school at Ablekuma, said he was only informed about the cancellation upon his arrival at the Odorgonno centre.

Peter Mensah, another candidate at the Accra High SHS, told The Ghanaian Times that the news came as a shock to him and denied any knowledge of the leakage.

Meanwhile, the Ghana Education Service (GES) has vowed to institute punitive measures against any teacher or student who would be found culpable in the matter.

Speaking to an Accra-based radio station, the acting Director General of GES, Mr. Jacob Kor, said the service was waiting for the conclusion of investigations by the Bureau of National Investigation (BNI) to also initiate its action.

A source close to the Ministry of Education also told The Ghanaian Times that the ministry would implement tough sanctions to people who would be found culpable, to prevent a recurrence of such menace.

Five papers in the ongoing Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) were cancelled on Wednesday, following widespread leakage across the country.

They include the Paper 2 of all the four core subjects, English Language, Mathematics, Social Studies and Integrated Science, Religious and Moral Education Paper 2.

A statement issued in Accra and signed by the Deputy Director of Public Affairs at WAEC, Mrs. Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, said the Council was determined to follow the case to its logical conclusion and would not shield any person, including its own staff found culpable.

It said the Council discovered that five out of the nine papers written, were compromised, adding that “beside other sources, the papers have gone viral on social media, especially on WhatsApp Messenger”.

The statement said the Social Studies Papers 2 and 1 slated for yesterday, would not be administered, but the remaining papers, French and Information and Communication Technology (ICT), would be written as scheduled.

Those papers compromised would be re-administered on June 29 and 30, it said, adding that the time-table for the tests would be circulated shortly.

The statement apologized for the inconvenience caused, and further called on stakeholders to appreciate that the re-administration of the tests was in the interest of the candidates and to restore public confidence and credibility in the outcome of the examination.

This year’s Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) began on Monday at 1,546 examination centres across the country.

In all, 438,030 candidates from 13,438 public and private schools were registered to write the examination.

The Minister of Education, Professor Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang, during a tour of some of the centres in Accra, said about 229,724 of the number were males, while 208,306 were females.

She said the figure represented an increase of 15,084, which was 3.56 per cent over last year’s number of 422,946.


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment