Baffour Gyan Granted Bail

Gyn2Baffour Gyan, the elder brother of Asamoah Gyan the skipper of the Black stars and his personal manager, Samuel Anim Addo were yesterday granted bail by a Kumasi circuit court, presided over by MR Emmanuel Boampong.

The two were standing trial for assaulting a regional correspondent of the Daily Graphic, Daniel Kenu last Friday at the Baba Yara stadium.

Charged on two counts of assault,the two accused, pleaded not guilty and the court admitted them to bail in the sum of GHC30, 000 with two sureties.

The case was adjourned to September 12, 2014.

Even though the prosecution was ready to start the case, counsels for the accused, Augustus Anane Kweiba and Oheneba Kuffuor, pleaded with the court to adjourn the case the fact they were seeking for an out of court settlement.

They further pleaded with the court to admit their clients to bail since the offence committed was one that fell under the offences where bail could be granted

Mr Anane Kweiba told the court that his clients were ready for an out court settlement and pleaded with the court not to start the hearing but instead adjourn the case and was hopeful that by the next hearing, the parties involved would have reached an amicable settlement.

The prosecutor, Superintendent of Police Emmanuel Akonnor, objected to the bail and told the court that the accused committed the offence with others who were at large and granting them bail would jeopardise the investigations of the police.

However, the presiding judge upheld the bail application by the defense counsels.

In granting the bail, Mr Boampong said he took into consideration the merit of the prosecution claims and that of the defence and the fact that the police themselves had granted the accused police inquiry bail.

Supt Akonnor told the court that on September 5, this year, while the complainant Daniel Kenu was going through the process to acquire his media accreditation for the Ghana-Uganda match, the accused and others now at large, attacked him and subjected him to severe beatings.

He said it took the intervention of some good samaritans to rescue the complainant who later made a complaint to the police and was issued with a police medical form.

According to him, the accused were later arrested and in their caution statement to the police, they denied the charges.




Print Friendly

Leave a Comment