Armed robber granted bail, others at large

Mr. David Asante Apeatu — Inspector-General of Police

Mr. David Asante Apeatu — Inspector-General of Police

A 20-year-old construction labourer was on Monday granted bail by an Accra circuit court for conspiring with two others, now at large, and robbing two Nigerians at gunpoint.

Gabriel Nata together with his accomplices, robbed the victims of two IPhone 6S mobile phones each worth GH¢1,800.00, an Infinix mobile phone worth GH¢700.00, and caused damage to complainant’s door worth GH¢2,000.00.

The accused, who was also charged for possessing arms and ammunitions without lawful authority, pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

He was granted bail in the sum of GH¢75,000.00 with two sureties both to be justified.

The court indicated that it had taken into consideration the circumstances surrounding the case as well as the condition of the accused in granting the bail.

The court adjourned the case to March 14.

Prosecuting, Chief Superintendent of Police Duuti Tuaruka told the court that the complainants, Imona Precious and Dibie Marshals are Nigerians and live at Abokobi, Zion city, a suburb of Accra, while the accused person is a Ghanaian residing at Pantang.

Chief Sup said at about 12.30am on February 9, the accused together with his accomplices “Scary” and “Kwame”, who were at large, jumped over the complainant’s fence wall.

He said Nata and his accomplices pointed guns at the complainants, subjected them to beatings.

The court heard that Imona managed to enter the room and locked the door, but accused dismantled the door cement block and escorted Dibie into the room at  gunpoint, and took the items.

The prosecution said the complainants struggled with the accused and Gabriel was arrested with the help of some neighbours.

Chief Sup Tuaruka said a locally manufactured pistol and a car jack were retrieved from him, but the two other accomplices escaped.

The Pantang police viability patrol and snap check team was contacted and the accused was rescued from the mob.

Gabriel sustained injuries and was sent to the Police Hospital, where he received treatment. – GNA


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment