Anloga Cops Save Fetish Priest

The Police at Anloga, in the Keta municipality, last Friday had to sneak a 28-year-old fetish priest, Kwaku Tettezah, into the Anloga Magistrate Court room, to prevent him from being lynched.

The crowd, which began gathering as early as 7 a.m. and delayed proceedings, kept growing and the police suspected they could do something untowards, should they lay hands on the suspect and an accomplice.

The irate crowd got more incensed, as the police in their efforts to assess the security situation around the court premises, occasionally drove to the place, without the suspects.

At a point, the crowd chased the police vehicle, but were disappointed.

They were disappointed when the suspect first appeared before the court on August 15, very early in the morning and before the people got there, the court had adjoured and the suspects, taken away by the police.

The police, knowing the huge interest the case would generate, arraigned the suspect on Friday, August 15, before the Anloga Magistrate Court, after bringing him from Nigeria on August 14, following his arrest by INTERPOL on August 9 there.

The crowd, after waiting for hours without the accused, appearing in the court, started dispersing, only to see a police vehicle speeding towards the court premises.

When the suspect finally arrived at 12.30 p.m., there was near pandemonium, as the crowd gate crashed into the courtroom, throwing caution to the wind.

It took the intervention of the District Magistrate, Charles Osei-Tutu, who issued a stern warning of contempt and threatened to have the subsequent appearance of the suspects in camera, to calm the crowd.

The plea of Tettezah, the fetish priest, and John Afitzie, his accomplice were not taken, and they would appear again on September 17.

They are charged with conspiracy and murder.

Two others, Agbenyega Agboka Agbevor and Koffie, alias Koffa, are at large.

Tettezah, was brought into the country on August 14, by the Keta Divisional Police Command, and arraigned before the court on August 15.

Chief Inspector Sampson Oduro, prosecuting, prayed  the court to remand the suspects, while efforts are made to arrest their two alleged accomplices.

The facts of the case, as presented to the court by Mr. Oduro, was that a report was received from the Kwabenya Police, in Accra on July 17, 2014, through Robert Tamakloe and Gideon Tamakloe that their brother, Peter Tamakloe, aged 33, and resident at Dome Kwabenya in Accra, travelled to their hometown, Woe, near Anloga on July 11, 2014 but did not reach his destination.

That same day, information reached the police at Anloga in the Keta municipality that the deceased, on his arrival was last seen in the company of a fetish priest at Afatome, a suburb of Anloga.

The house of the fetish priest was traced but he was not available and a search there yielded no results.

At about 10:30 p.m., information gathered revealed that someone had been buried in an uncompleted building in a grave dug by Koffa or Kofi, an errand boy of the accused at mid-day of August 9, 2014.

The police kept the place under surveillance and on August 18, during a visit to the scene, found that a human body was buried there.

An exhumation order was obtained from the district coroner and when the body was exhumed, it was found to be a male, partially decomposed and was identified by the complainants as Peter Tamakloe.

Mr. Oduro said his neck was slashed with a sharp object, the face blind-folded with a black scarf and the mouth gagged with a red scarf, while both hands were tied behind him with rope and the legs with a cord.

The body was conveyed to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra where an autopsy was performed on it.

Mr. Oduro said investigations established that John Aftizie, an intimate friend of the deceased, introduced him (Peter) to Kwaku Tettezah, and together with Koffa and Agbenyegah Abavor, conspired and murdered him.

Based on that information, John Afitzie was arrested at Kwabenya on July 18 and taken to Anloga for investigations, while efforts were made to trace  Agbenyegah and Koffa.

The Ghanaian Times on July 23, reported that the Anloga Police had begun a manhunt for Kwaku Tettezah, a 28-year old fetish priest for allegedly murdering a 33-year-old welder at Anloga in the Keta Municipality.

The fetish priest and an accomplice, whose name was only given as Koffa also of the shrine, allegedly killed Peter Tamakloe, 33, on Friday, July 11, 2014 and buried him in an uncompleted building at Afatome, a suburb of Anloga.

The deceased, who lost his father in July, was allegedly carrying on him GH¢5,000 for the renovation of the family house, ahead of the father’s funeral in October, this year.

Meamwhile, reports available to The Ghanaian Times indicate that the suspect’s shrine has been burnt by unknown people.

From Lawrence Vomafa-Akpalu, Anloga 


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment