The Volta Regional Command has confirmed the death of two people at Nkonya-Tayi, near Nkonya Ahenkro, in the Biakoye District, in the Volta Region, in another shooting incident in the area on Wednesday.
The latest attack was carried out on the victims who were tapping palm wine on a farm, by alleged gunmen from Alavanyo also in the region, late in the afternoon.
This was near the Nkonya Alavanyo border.
One man who survived the onslaught with bullet injuries is said to have been transferred from the Worawora Government Hospital to the Volta Regional Hospital in Ho, for further treatment.
The Volta Regional Police Commander, ACP Nana Asomah told The Ghanaian Times yesterday that efforts were underway to establish the identities of the victims.
He said that the bodies of the deceased, both male, were at the morgue awaiting autopsy.
The regional police commander said that no arrest was made in connection with the incident at the time.
At the time of filing this report, members of the Volta Regional Security Council (REGSEC) were at a meeting over the issue.
Speaking to The Ghanaian Times later in the day, the Volta Regional Minister, Dr. Yao Archibald Letsa said that “we are treating this as murder and not a renewal of war between the people of Alavanyo and Nkonya”.
He said that initial investigations by the REGSEC revealed that two families had been fighting over the stretch of land where the shooting incident took place, for some time now.
Dr. Letsa who is also the chairman of the REGSEC appealed to people in the communities to volunteer information to arrest the assailants.
“I can assure you that 99 per cent of the people in Alavanyo and Nkonya want peace,” Dr. Letsa added.
The regional minister said he had no knowledge of any immediate plans by government to take over any land in the area as alleged by a section of the public.
He appealed to the media to report on the latest shooting incident objectively.
Pix: Dr. Letsa