Akua Donkor ‘robbers’ denied bail



An Accra Circuit Court hearing the case involving four persons, who allegedly robbed Madam Akua Donkor, founder of the Ghana Freedom Party (GFP), has denied a bail application made for the four accused.

The accused persons are Yakubu Yusif, trader, and Central Regional Chairman of the GFP, Banabas Kayase, her driver, and secretary of the party, Opoku Agyemang, trader, and Abdul Razak Shaibu, a member of the Ghana Private Road (GPRTU) taskforce.

Two others, Joe and Nuamah, also known as Lion, are currently on the run while the accused are on remand.

The prosecution said on the day of the alleged robbery, Madam Akua Donkor and Yusif and Kayase were on board her vehicle, a Mitsubishi Pajero, from Taifa towards the Kotoka International Airport for Akua Donkor to catch a flight to the United States of America.

Chief Superintendent Duuti Tuaruka, prosecuting, said on December 30, 2016, at Taifa in Accra, the six persons conspired to rob Madam Akua Donkor.

The prosecutor said the accused at about 2:30am at Sowutuom, a suburb of Accra, snatched the travelling bag containing a plane ticket, Ghanaian passport, voter ID card, $30,000 and

GH¢3,000.00, belonging to Madam Donkor at gunpoint.

“Akua decided to pass home and on reaching Sowutuom immediately after the Agbeve Herbal Clinic area, Opoku called Kayase on phone and asked where they have reached while Razak, Joe and Lion were waiting to execute their agenda,” Chief Supt Tuaruka told the court.

Chief Sup Tuaruka said the three, armed with guns on board an unregistered motorbike, appeared behind the vehicle, and “as soon as Kayase spotted the armed men, he reduced the speed of the car, showing double hazard indicators that the complainant was in the car”.

Kayase, according to the prosecutor, parked the vehicle and the armed men attacked the complainant with guns and took the monies and items and dragged her from the vehicle and escaped with the booty.

Chief Sup Tuaruka said on 31st December, last year, Razak was arrested when he was called by Yusif to come for his share of the booty, and when Razak was searched, US$4,900 was retrieved from him.

He said upon interrogation Razak admitted the offence and mentioned Joe and Nuamah as his accomplices, and that after the operation, they shared the monies and threw the bag into a nearby bush at Anyaa. He led the police to retrieve the bag. – GNA


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment