Agbobloshie ‘terror’, another nabbed

Alidu Yakubu (left) and Mohammed Iddrisu after their arrest

Alidu Yakubu (left) and Mohammed Iddrisu after their arrest

The ring leader of the recent attacks on residents at Agbobloshie and its environs in Accra, has been arrested by the Accra Regional Police Command.

Yakubu Alidu, alias Bullet, was arrested with a member of his gang,who has been identified as Mohammed Iddrissu, 20.

The Regional Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Osabarima Oware Asare Pinkro III told journalists at a press conference that Alidu and his accomplice were arrested together with other suspected criminals during a swoop on Thursday dawn.

He said the exercise was aimed at clamping down suspected criminals who had been using Agbogbloshie as their hideout.

DCOP Pinkro III said a victim identified as Samiruwu Abdulai, a resident of Old Fadama, told the police that last month he was putting up a makeshift structure at Konkomba near Agbogbloshie market when a group of men he could identify demanded money from him.

He said the victim claimed when he refused to give money to the group,which was led by Alidu, they attacked him with machetes and other offensive weapons, injuring him.

The Police Commander said  on February 2, 2017, two traders at the Konkomba market, Philip Kofi Anderson, and Sylvester Baffour, were attacked by Alidu and his men, who were on motorcycles near the paint dealers, Sikkens Ghana Company, near Agbogbloshie.

“In the course of the attack, Baffour sustained a machete wound on his forehead and a motorcycle belonging to the victims and their mobile phones and an unspecified amount of cash were taken from them,” he added.

DCOP Pinkro III said on March 3 Alidu and 10 members of his gang attacked “Konkonsa” drinking bar and robbed its patrons.

He said the suspects who were wielding cutlasses, guns and other offensive weapons damaged a gambling machine at the drinking spot, stole an unspecified amount of money and forcefully took the mobile phones of the patrons.

The Commander said one of the patrons who refused to hand over his mobile phone was slashed with a cutlass while the police saw bullet marks on the roofing of the drinking spot when they visited the scene.

By Anita Nyarko-Yirenkyi

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment