8 More Perish … In Two Road Accidents

mrs obiri yeboahEight people yesterday lost their lives in two separate motor accidents, in what can be described as a sad Thursday.

In the first accident, four people, including an 18 month old baby, died on the spot when a Yutong bus on which they were travelling, ran into a ditch after hitting an articulated truck at Eduagyei near Komenda on the Accra-Takoradi Highway.

In the second one also four people reportedly died on the spot when a Splinter Benz bus collided with a cargo truck around Wumipie on the Tamale –Kumasi highway.

In the first accident, David Yarboi-Tetteh, reports from Cape Coast that 43 other passengers who sustained various degrees of injury were rushed to the Central Regional Hospital for treatment.

The driver of the articulated truck, name withheld, was arrested by the police in Cape Coast for his attempting to escape after the accident.

The dead were made up of two males, and two female, including the baby girl.

Briefing The Ghanaian Times yesterday, DSP Godfred Asare, Komenda-Edina-Eguafo-Abrem (KEEA) Municipal Police Commander, said the articulated cargo benz truck with registration number BA438-09 was from Takoradi to Accra while the Yutong bus with registration number GR 4844-13 was moving from Accra to Takoradi.

He explained that while approaching a curve the drivers of both vehicles moved into the middle lane, and as a result driving mirrors of both vehicles entangled.

In an attempt to move from the middle lane to their respective routes, the Yutong bus veered off its lane and run into a ditch resulting in the death of the four passengers.

DSP Asare said the driver of the articulated truck who failed to stop was arrested and is assisting the police in their investigations.
The bodies of the deceased had been deposited at the Central Regional Hospital’s mortuary.

Yakubu Abdul-Majeed reports from Tamale that the accident on the Tamale-Kumasi road occurred at 3:30am yesterday.

The Northern Regional Police Public Relation Officer, ASP Ebenezer Tetteh, who confirmed this to The Ghanaian Times, said the deceased included the driver of the splinter bus, Seidu Mahama.

According to the Police, the bus was traveling from Bawku to Kumasi when it collided with a cargo vehicle which was loaded with charcoal heading towards Tamale.

The police blamed the accident on the bad weather condition that had engulfed the northern sector, resulting in poor visibility.

The bodies have been deposited at the Tamale Teaching hospital morgue.

The five deaths from the Frodua gas explosion, consist of three females and two males between the ages of three and 22 years, reports Kinsgly Hope from Kumasi.

They died at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi where they were rushed for treatment.

Ernest Abban, a deputy Public Relations Officer at KATH who confirmed the death to The Ghanaian Times yesterday afternoon, said four other victims were receiving Intensive Care.
The explosion caused by leaked gas from a gas tanker which overturned in an accident at Kwahu Frodua on Wednesday dawn also destroyed about 37 houses, property, personal belongings of the victims and livestock worth millions of Ghana cedis.
Meanwhile, Ama Tekyiwaa Ampadu-Nyarko, reports from Koforidua that the Municipal and District Chief Executives and two Members of Parliament of the Kwahu South and West municipality and district, have presented relief items worth GH¢8000 in support of the victims of the gas explosion.
The items included assorted food items such as bags of rice, gallons of oil, bales of clothes, buckets, mats, and cups.

Mr. Joseph Omari, Municipal Chief Executive for Kwahu South, explained to The Ghanaian Times that the donation was made possible through the collective efforts of himself, District Chief Executive for Kwahu West, Alex Somoah Obeng, MP for Nkawkaw, Mr. Daffour and MP for Mpreaso, Kwame Acheampong.

Divisional Fire Officer II, DOII George Frimpong, told The Ghanaian Times that the gas tanker was yesterday towed to safety, adding that residents of Kwahu Frodua had been informed that they could now set fire in the area.

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment