7 remanded over Capt Mahama’s killing

The suspects

The suspects

A Cape Coast District Court yesterday remanded seven accused persons in connection with the murder of Captain Maxwell Mahama, of the fifth Battalion Infantry (5BN)  at Denkyira Obuasi, in the Upper Denkyra West District of the Central Region.

The court presided over by Miss Rita Amoanyiwaa-Edusah, adjourned the case to June 19, after the prosecutor Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Hilarious Avornyo prayed the court to remand the suspects into police custody to enable investigations to continue.

Lawyer for the accused, George Bernard Shaw, however did not oppose to the application for remand against his client by the prosecution.

The seven suspects are William Baah, 36; assembly man and a teacher, Yaw Annor, 32, mason; Philip Badu, 30, prison assistant; Bismark Donkor, 30, farmer; Kofi Badu, 29, farmer; Kofi Nyame, 29, farmer and Anthony Amoah, 23, “okada” rider.

There was heavy security presence at the court and the police barred the public from entering the court room.

The prosecution preffered a preliminary charge of murder pending the completion of investigation into the lynching of Captain Maxwell Mahama on Monday, May 29.

The pleas of the accused persons were not taken by the court.

ASP Avornyo told the court that with the exception of William Baah and Philip Badu, who tended themselves in and were arrested by the police on Wednesday May 31, the other five were arrested by the joint police and military team on Tuesday May 30.

He told the court that the police received a report that on Monday, May 29 the deceased was jogging on the Domina-Denkyira Odumasi road and on reaching Denkyira-Obuasi, somebody raised a false alarm indicating that the late army officer was an armed robber.

He said the youth of the town including the suspects lynched the deceased refusing to heed or listen to his plea.

He further told the court that both William Baah, the assembly man and Yaw Annor managed to escape and went into hiding on Tuesday, when the police and military team went to the Denkyira-Odumasi town.

ASP Avornyo said, that the two handed themselves in to the police and were subsequently arrested.

Just after the adjournment of the case, a number of people who gathered around to catch a glimpse of the suspects started shouting and hooting explaining that the lynching of the army Captain was a wicked act which should not be swept under the carpet.

From David O. Yarboi-Tetteh, Cape Coast

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment