The six men who took turns to have sex with a Junior High School girl at Ehi, in the Ketu North District of the Volta Region and filmed the act, made their second appearance before the Aflao Circuit Court on Monday.
They are Julius Donkor, alias Kapaya, 21; Paul Agumazor, alias Paulzor, 22 and Joshua Kpeli, alias Stigma, 21.
The rest are Innocent Alevi, alias Clerk, 19; Francis Sabla alias China, 19 and Miwoekpor Agbenyagah, alias Agbey, 20.
They pleaded not guilty.
The initial charge of defilement preferred against them was changed to rape after it emerged that the victim was 16 years old.
It also emerged that Kpeli did not take part in the crime, but kept watch over the school park, to alert the other suspects, in case someone was passing by.
Inspector Martin Egyir, told the court, presided over by Mr. Ali Baba Abature, that on January 22, this year, at about 10 p.m., the victim (name withheld) was returning home from a funeral at Ehiga, suburb of Ehi and Kpeli deviously offered to escort her home because it was late in the night, and the unsuspecting girl accepted his offer.
Unknown to the girl, Kpeli had already signaled the other suspects to follow them.
The court heard that on reaching the Caledzi ‘C’ School, the suspects dragged the girl into one of the classrooms and forced her to lie in a supine position on one of the desks before they took turns to have sex with her.
Insp. Egyir said while the girl was going through the ordeal, Agumazor used his cellular phone to record the act.
He said the accused persons warned the girl not to disclose what they did to her to anyone or else she would suffer a curse known as ‘alorkpli ’from the shrine.
The court heard that at about 2.50 am, a police officer spotted Sabla with the girl and asked them where they were coming from and upon hearing the victim groaning, the officer took her to the police station where the girl narrated her ordeal.
Subsequently, the accused persons were arrested by the police.
Insp. Egyir said the victim was accompanied by the police to the St. Anthony Hospital at Dzodze, where she was treated and discharged.
The prosecution said that apart from Kpeli, the other accused persons admitted having sex with the girl in their statements to police, but said they did not rape her.
The video footing of the sex act is in the possession of the police, the prosecution added.
Kpeli is to remain on his previous bail while the other accused persons are to remain in prison custody until February 17.
From Alberto Mario Noretti,