5 robbers to spend 75yrs in prison

Five young men who robbed two students of the Islamic University College of their mobile phones, were yesterday sentenced to a total of 75 years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court.

Each of them is to serve 15 years.

They are Anthony Galley, a trader, Amewuga Kumafu Hugah, a labourer, Richard Tenyuie, a driver’s mate, Richard Korley, an auto electrician and Akwasi Aikins, a trader.

The five pleaded not guilty to two counts of conspiracy to commit crime and robbery, but the court proved their guilt and accordingly convicted them.

Passing sentence, Justice Francis Obiri, a High a Court Judge, sitting with additional responsibilities held that the convicts deserved harsher punishment.

The law, he said, frowned on criminality and those who indulged in such acts should not be spared.

Upon hearing the judgement, a nursing mother, believed to be the wife of one of the convicts, who came there with her two-month-old baby girl, broke down in tears amidst shouting and wailing.

The woman attempted running back to the court room when proceedings were on-going, but she was held back by two policewomen.

Notwithstanding, the dejected woman (name withheld), threw herself onto the ground and started shouting.

With tears flowing from her eyes, she told bystanders that, “My husband is innocent….ooooo God help me, I am finished”.

She was later consoled and whisked away by family members who came to the court in anticipation that their relative could be freed.

Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Kwabena Adu told the court that the convicts robbed Alhassan Mufid and his colleagues, all students of Islamic University College.

He said on April 16, 2015, at about 12:30 a.m., Mufid and his friends, were taking pictures of themselves at the main gate of the university when the convicts suddenly appeared and asked them to surrender their belongings.

Wielding machetes and guns, Chief Inspector Adu said the armed robbers threatened to kill the complainants if they did not give in to their request.

Sensing danger, the complainants handed over three mobile phones to the convicts.

Mufid and his colleagues then tried to track the mobile phones with a tracking device, but the attempt was unsuccessful.

Chief Inspector Adu said Mufid, the complainant identified Galley, who was being interrogated at the police station when Mufid went to report the robbery attack on them.

He said Galley admitted the offence and led the police to arrest his accomplices.

During interrogation, Kumafu told the police he took the iphone from two accomplices, Moses and Selorm, who were currently on the run.

He said Kumafu in turn used the phone as a collateral for GH¢200 from Hamza Aziz, his brother-in-law.

The prosecutor said Aziz was later arrested, and the phone was retrieved from him.

He said the police were making efforts to arrest Selorm and Moses.

By Malik Sullemana     

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment