4 alleged Kumasi robbers buried

Military presences at the funeral  service

Military presences at the funeral service

There was wailing and gnashing of teeth at the Kumasi Central Mosque yesterday, during pre-burial prayers for four of the seven alleged armed robbers who were gunned down by the police at Manso Nkwanta, in the Amansie West District of Ashanti.

The gruesome killings happened on July 16, this year.

The heavy military presence at the mosque averted any major disturbance, even though some irate youth and family members made it difficult for the bodies to be brought out of the ambulances for the rites to be performed.

Some of the youth and elderly who gathered at the precincts of the building carried placards some of which read, ‘The seven Zongo boys are not armed robbers’, ‘Police stop killing Zongo youth’, ‘We are also good citizens’,  ‘Professionalism is needed in the police service’, ‘Police brutality must end immediately.’

The bodies of the four – Musah Seidu, Mohammed Bashir Musah, Mohammed Kamil and Baa Bont, after the solemn prayers were sent to the Old Tafo Cemetery  in Kumasi for burial.

Meanwhile, the bodies of two others, Razak Sule and Oliver Konlan, said to be Christians would be buried on Saturday.

Earlier on August 26, 2018, Abdul Hannan Basiiru was buried and the burial service also attracted heavy military presence at the same mosque as the youth attempted to stop the ceremony.

Addressing newsmen after the prayers, the Member of Parliament for Asawasi, Alhaji Mohammed Muntaka Mubarak, called for calm among the Muslim community and bereaved families with the assurance that anyone found culpable after investigations into the killings will face the law.

Alhaji Mubarak said Ghanaians were watching with keen interest and stakeholders would go to every length to ensure justice prevailed in the matter.

He urged government to provide the necessary assistance to the five-member independent committee set up to investigate the killing.

He noted that the assistance would enable the committee to expedite action and produce a report on time, stressing that “the delay of the report is creating suspicion among members of the community”.

The committee was established by government and inaugurated on July 31, this year to independently investigate the killings. It was given one month duration to complete its work but a report is yet to be submitted.

The setting up of the committee became necessary following controversies surrounding the killing.

While the police claimed those gunned down were suspected robbers who had earlier on shot at two policemen during a robber operation, killing one of the peace officers, the Zongo community and family members on the other hand said they were innocent.

The Ashanti Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Kwasi Duku maintained at a press conference that the seven were those who attacked and killed one of the two policemen.

 

Some irate youths of the local Zongo community embarked on violent demonstrations for several days to protest the death of the seven, maintaining that they were innocent.

The youth demanded an independent investigation into the matter, a demand government gave in.

FROM KINGSLEY E. HOPE, KUMASI

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment