3 security guards remanded over trader’s death

The three private security guards at the Accra Mall whose alleged brutalities resulted in the death of a trader were, on Friday, remanded in police custody by an Accra magistrates court.

Emmanuel Agyei Opoku, 31; Francis Adzaho, 35, and Godwin Amenya, 31, whose pleas were not taken were remanded by the presiding judge, Mrs Dora Gloria Araba Eshun, to enable the police conduct further investigations into the case.

They are to appear again on April 7.

They were charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit crime contrary to Section 23(1) of Act 29/60 and murder contrary to Section 46 of Act 29/60.

Sympathisers and family members of the deceased, Emmanuel Boateng were at the court premises.

Mrs. Eshun urged the police to expedite action on their investigations.

The prosecutor, Chief Inspector Patrick Hanson, prayed the court to remand the accused persons for further investigations.

Counsel for the accused persons, Dela Blagodze for his part, prayed the court to grant his clients bail stating that they were Ghanaians, with permanent abode and guaranteed sureties to stand in for them and produce them when needed by either the court or the Police.

He also prayed the court to help change the charge from murder to manslaughter since their action was not premeditated

Mr. Blagodze argued that his clients’ human rights had been abused since they had been kept for more than 48 hours.

Presenting the facts of the case, Mr. Hanson said the accused were with a security firm Quemic Ghana Limited while the deceased, Emmanuel Boateng, was a trader and resided at American House in Accra.

He said on February 3, the accused were deployed to the Accra Shopping Mall for night duties.

The prosecutor said the same day Boateng closed from his trading activities in Accra and was on board a commercial vehicle to his house, but on reaching the Spanner Junction, he alighted from the vehicle and started running towards the mall.

He said: The driver’s mate in the vehicle called him several times to come for his phone which fell in the car but he did not heed to the call. Eventually the deceased did not get home”.

Mr. Hanson said the following day a family member of Boateng called his (Boateng’s) number which the driver’s mate who had the phone with him then answered and narrated what happened the previous day to the caller.

He said the family upon hearing that information, went to the shopping mall to look for him with his photograph.

Mr. Hanson said some people around the mall told them that they saw the security officers beating someone who looked like him (the deceased).

“According to them, when he became unconscious, the security officers carried him and dumped him along the Accra-Tema Motorway,” Mr. Hanson said.

He said the deceased passed away few hours later, adding that information got to the Airport Police who proceeded to the scene and conveyed the body to the Police Hospital mortuary.

He said on February 25, an autopsy was performed on the body and the cause of death was given as cerebral oedema and blunt head injury.

Mr. Hanson said investigations led to the arrest of the accused persons.

By Anita Nyarko

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment