3 killed, 25 houses burnt in Bunkprugu

Three people have been killed, and 25 houses burnt down in renewed clashes between the Jamong and Jafok chieftaincy gates, in the Bunkprugu traditional area in the Bunkprugu-Yunyoo District of the Northern Region.

The deaths were said to have occurred in the early hours of yesterday, when the two families engaged each other in a shootout, a source which pleaded anonymity told The Ghanaian Times from Bunkprugu.

The Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Ebenezer Tetteh, also confirmed the incident to The Ghanaian Times in a separate interview.

He, however, said information available to the police, had it that only one person died from gunshot wounds, while 25 houses were burnt in the sporadic shooting in the area.

ASP Tetteh said the dead was said to be a 70-year-old man, who met his untimely death in the early hours of Monday morning in the heat of the gun battle.

He said the Northern Regional Security Council (REGSEC) had sent more police and military reinforcement to help maintain law and order in Bunkprugu and its surrounding communities.

The Police PRO said no arrest had been made in connection with the clash, and efforts were being made to bring the situation under control.

ASP Tetteh said a combined team of police and military had mounted road blocks carrying out searches on all vehicles entering the area, to ensure that weapons were not smuggled into the area.

The latest clash between the two chieftaincy families in Bunkprugu, followed the mysterious death of two brothers on Friday.

The brothers went missing on Friday, but their bodies were found in the outskirts of Bunkprugu in an abandoned house by a search party.

The bodies have been deposited at the Tamale West Hospital, as the two families are still in a tussle over their burial.

The disagreement over the burial resulted in the sporadic shooting and the loss of lives and property.

From Yakubu Abdul-Majeed,Tamale

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment