3 children die in fire outbreak

THREE children – two boys and a girl from the same family- perished when fire gutted their house at Nkwanta in the Nkwanta South District of the Volta Region, yesterday.

Breaking the news to The Ghanaian Times from the scene on phone, a presenter of the local FM station, Beyond Radio, who identified himself as Sheibu Fuseini, said that the incident happened at 7.20 am in the house of a local pre-mixed fuel dealer, Mr. Kwasi Bediako.

The presenter said that the house was located behind the English and Arabic School.

According to him, the man had filled the kitchen which has a gas cooker, with gallons and other containers of pre-mixed fuel.

“As soon as his wife lit the burner to heat some water for the children, the whole kitchen exploded with fire”, said the radio presenter.

The eye-witness told the Ghanaian Times that two sons of the couple, aged seven and eight, died in the fire together with their 10-year-old cousin.

Mr. Bediako’s wife sustained burns on the body and was sent to the Nkwanta South District Hospital.

Personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service turned up at the scene only for them to realise that their water tanker was only half-full, so they sent a distress call to their counterparts in the Nkwanta North District.

As a result, it took them three hours to put out the fire.

A police spokesman later confirmed the story and said that investigations were underway.

 From Alberto Mario Noretti, Ho

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment