2 in trouble for raping 17-year-old girl

An Accra district court on Wednesday granted Samuel Addae, 23, and Isaac Sowah Annang, 20, bail with a surety each to be justified for allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl.
The pleas of Addae, and Annang, have not been taken, meanwhile, Inspector Simon Tekpor told the court that the docket would be forwarded to the Attorney General’s Department for advice.
The two accused, who were to go back to court on November 27, are expected to report to the police every fortnight.
Counsel, Mr George Amoako, and Mr. Liberty King for Addae and Annang respectively, prayed that the offence was bailable and that their clients were still innocent until proven guilty or they themselves pleaded guilty, therefore, they should be granted bail.
They told the court that the accused were young offenders and should be granted bail as they had been in custody for some time, and did not know when the Attorney-General’s advice would be ready.
The lawyers said the accused would not interfere with police investigations and would be available to stand trial when released on bail.
Again, they had fixed places of abode, lived with their families and had people of substance to stand as sureties.
Mr. Ebenezer Kweku Ansah granted the bail on the grounds that they would not interfere with police investigations.

He said that he did not want the situation where though they were young and had not been proven guilty, their bail could be a bad precedent to other young people if they were guilty of the rape.
Police Inspector Tekpor prosecuting told the court that, the complainant in the case is the cousin to the victim and they lived in Accra.
He said Addae, a student and Annang, a waiter; both lived at La, also in Accra.
Police Insp Tekpor said the victim was a friend of Addae and they from time to time spoke on phone.
On September 25, this year, at about 10:30am, the girl visited Addae and he offered her a chair in his room.
The prosecution said, while chatting, Addae asked for a hug, but the girl declined, and he closed his door and forcibly had sex with her.
Annang bumped into them in the process and took a video of the act, and threatened that if he did not have his turn, he would circulate it on social media, thus, he also forcibly had sex with her while Addae also took a clip of it.
She pleaded for the videos to be deleted but they refused.
Later, they went their separate ways and on October 4, this year, at about 7:30 a.m, the girl went to Addae to have the video deleted but instead, he forcibly had sex with her and it happened on the third occasion.
Insp Tekpor said the girl informed her cousin about her ordeal and a report was made to the police leading to the arrest of the accused.
A police medical form was issued for the victim to receive treatment and it was duly endorsed. – GNA

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment