2 in court for human trafficking


The trial of Aku Kedevi and Michael Boti, who are jointly charged with human trafficking, has begun at a Ho high court.

The court, presided by Mr. Justice Eric Baah, heard that Kedevi, alias Mansanor, 40, collected GH¢4000 from Boti, 63, for the first contract, which involved only the elder boy.

Assistant State Attorney, Mr. Andrews Adugu, said that the complainant in the case was a driver at Wegbe, who was the guardian of the elder boy, adding that the complainant was married to the boy’s aunt.

According to prosecution, Kedevi, first accused, in April, 2015, visited the elder boy in the company of his biological father (now deceased) and invited him to come over to her at Ehi and spend his holidays with her there.

The boy’s guardian did not object to the request of Kedevi.

Mr. Adugu told the court that a few days upon arriving at Ehi, the woman transported the boy to Akpoklikofe, after convincing him that he was going to buy textbooks for him on the island.

The woman presented the teenager to Boti in exchange of the money under an agreement in which the child was to serve as fishing hand for five years.

The court heard that Kedevi sneaked out of the Island at night while the boy was asleep, and the next day the boy was forced to go fishing.

The prosecution said that Kedevi paid several visits to the boy on the island and also informed him of his father’s death.

On one of such visits, she brought the younger boy along also to be engaged in fishing.

The court heard that one day when the older boy was sent to hand over a cellular phone to someone on the island, he took advantage of that errand and used the phone to call her aunt at Wegbe and narrated their ordeal to her.

Based on that, a complaint was lodged at the Anti-Human Trafficking Unit in Ho, leading to the arrest of the accused.

The prosecution said that the fishmonger in her caution statement to the police admitted collecting the money from the fisherman to defray the cost of treating and burying the late father of the boys.

The fisherman admitted giving the money to the fishmonger in bits to clear the debts, and the two, who are on bail, have pleaded not guilty.

Hearing continues on August 8.





Print Friendly

Leave a Comment