2 die in downpour in Kumasi

•   The two bodies retrieved after the downpour.        Photo:  Godwin Ofosu Acheampong

• The  body retrieved after the downpour. Photo: Godwin Ofosu Acheampong


A downpour that hit parts of the Kumasi metropolis on Saturday, claimed the lives of a year-and-a-half old boy and a 50-year-old man.

It also displaced about 100 residents especially at Aboabo. Also killed by the flood were eight cattle.

The boy, identified as Abdul Basit, was said to have lost his life at Brahabebome in the flood when his mother left him in the room to attempt to retrieve her floating refrigerator.

The 50 -year old man, whose name was not immediately known, was said to have arrived from Tongo, in the Upper East Region, on the fateful day to visit his sick brother at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), and was killed by the flood at the Dr. Mensah lorry station.

The two  dead bodies retrieved after the downpour' Photo Godwin Ofosu Acheampo,ng'.The Ghanaian Times gathered that when the rain started, he stayed in the hospital until it subsided but was said to have fallen into a gutter and got drowned when he decided to look for “tro-tro” to go home.

Meanwhile, about 100 residents were trapped in a submerged four-storey building at Aboabo during the rainstorm.

According to the victims all their properties had been lost to the flood.

The incident triggered off a massive demonstration by some irate youth of Aboabo amidst burning of tyres on the main street.

They blocked roads to protest against poor drainage systems in the metropolis.

According to them, their community leaders had neglected them for far too long.

The residents said the only way to stop the constant flooding in the community was to expand the bridge.

It was hellish for personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service when they arrived at the scene, as it took about four hours for the flood to recede before they could start the rescue operation of the victims.

Chief Executive Officer of the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA), Kojo Bonsu attributed the cause of the floods to the illegal development of structures on waterways.

At the Airport Roundabout, it was quite a scene as people were running for their dear lives, with the area flooded, a replica of the June 3 disaster in Accra.

The ever-busy Airport Roundabout where two filling stations are situated was flooded, forcing people to run away from the scene.

Vehicles could barely move as they were stuck in the rain. A timely intervention by the police brought the situation under control.

Anloga Junction, where a filling station and a gas station are located in the same premises, about which the KMA, the Ashanti Regional Co-ordinating Council (ARCC) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), are stone silent, was not left out in the flood as the Kumasi-Accra highway was taken over by the donwpour.

Some residents took shelter in churches. The Pelele river from Aboabo, rose above the partly choked storm drain, which lies a few metres away from the Exbon Gas station.

From Kingsley E. Hope, Kumasi


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment