2 Cops on duty were drunk… indepth investigations reveal

denuIndepth investigations by The Ghanaian Times indicate that the two policemen on duty at the Denu Police Station last Friday when seven notorious armed robbers escaped from custody, allegedly drunk and therefore, fallen asleep.

They were sleeping under a mosquito net hanged at a distance near the police station, and the suspects escaped at their blind side

A source close to the Denu Police told The Ghanaian Times that, the incident took place about 1 a.m. .

According to the source, a group suspected to be friends of the escapees entered the police station, broke the padlock to the cell and set the suspects free.

According to him, after getting out of the cell, some of the escapes went back and opened a room suspected to be the armoury, took two AK. 47 rifles and 25 rounds of ammunition and bolted.

The source said the two policemen were in their sleep when a securityman went to wake them up and alerted them of what had happened.

The policemen then raised the alarm and went round the neighourhood but could not find the suspects.

Meanwhile, the townsfolk are still at a loss as to how the criminals managed to locate the keys to the armoury and went for them with ease, opened it and took away the rifles and ammunition.

At time of filing this story, the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Alhassan Mohammed, is reported to have visited the Denu Police Station.

The Ghanaian Times on Saturday, March 14, reported that seven armed robbers in custody at the Denu Police Station had escaped with two AK. 47 assault rifles and 25 rounds of ammunition, belonging to the police.

The Volta Regional Police Commander, DCOP P.Y Gyinae, confirmed the story, and said, they were combing everywhere to re-arrest the suspects, as soon as possible.

The Paramount Chief of Aflao, Togbi Amenya Fiti, said the escape of the criminals had thrown Aflao and Denu into fear.

He said that soon after the incident, a member of the public who had earlier helped to arrest one of the suspects burned lorry tyres in some streets of Denu in protest against the “failure of the police to keep the suspects in custody”.

Meanwhile, the Minister of the Interior, Mark Woyongo has ordered full-scale investigations into the incident   and warned that anyone found culpable would be dealt with.

On Tuesday March 17, 2015, The Ghanaian Times reported that the Police Administration had given a 10-day ultimatum to the two policemen on duty to produce the fugitives or be sanctioned.

The Deputy Volta Regional Police Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACOP) Mr. W. A. K. Akpesey, who disclosed this to the paper at Ho on Monday, said, the ultimatum took effect from last Saturday.

From Lawrence Vomafa-Akpalu, Denu

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment