2 BECE Candidates Killed

Two candidates of the Basic Education Certification Examination (BECE) in the Sangnarigu District of the Northern Region were on Sunday killed by a tipper truck.

The students, both female, were said to be returning home after checking their Index Numbers at the Tamale Senior High School, one of the examination centres when the tipper truck veered off the road and crushed them to death at a junction close to the school.

The Northern Regional Director of Ghana Education Service (GES), Paul Apanga, who confirmed this to The Ghanaian Times just before start of the BECE in Tamale yesterday, said the deceased were students of the Choggu Demonstration Junior High School.

He said the bodies identified as Fadila and Zulia, have been deposited at the Tamale Teaching Hospital morgue.

On the examination itself, Mr. Apanga said the Regional Directorate of the GES together with other stakeholders, had instituted the necessary measures to ensure smooth conduct of the examinations in the region.

He added that security had been beefed up especially at the conflict or trouble areas such as Bunkprugu, Nakpanduri and Bimbilla to ensure that nothing untowards happened to disturb the conduct of the examinations at those centres.

Mr. Apanga said his outfit had asked all headteachers and supervisors of the examination in the region not to turn away any female with pregnancy.

“No supervisor has the right to prevent any female candidate with pregnancy from writing the examination,” the regional director warned.

The Northern Regional Minister, Alhaji Limuna Mohammed Muniru, who visited some of the centres expressed his condolence to the bereaved families and advised the candidates to put the unfortunate incident behind them and focus on the examination.

Alhaji Muniru wished the candidates well and success in the examination and advised them to follow strictly the instruction given them by the supervisors and to avoid any examination malpractices.

He said it was important for them to believe in themselves and not to rely on their friends for help during the papers.

In all 34,506 candidates made up of 14,508 girls and 20,016 boys are participating in this year’s BECE in the region.

On the national level, a total of 422, 946 candidates from 12,562 public and private junior high schools, are writing the examination at 1,437 centres; under 14,753 invigilators, 1,431 Supervisors and 1,432 Assistant supervisors

The candidates are made up of 223,765 males and 199,181 females including those with hearing and visual impairment.

The figure constitutes an increase of 8.15 per cent over the 391, 079 candidates from 11, 778 junior high schools, who wrote the 2013 BECE at 1,378 centres under 13,714 invigilators and 2,675 supervisors.

Statistics on this year’s examination made available to The Ghanaian Times by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), showed that Ashanti Region registered 83,859 candidates (43,326 males and 40,533 females), the highest; while the Upper West Region, registered the lowest, 12,372 (6,693 males and 5,679 females).

The regional breakdown are as follows: Greater Accra-74,139 (36,159 males and 37,980 females); Central, 43,921 (23,203 males and 20,718 females); Northern, 43,694 (20,244 males and 14,450 females); Western, 41,991 (22,475 males and 19,516 females); Eastern, 41,522 (22,212 males and 19,310 females); Brong-Ahafo, 39,573 (21,645 males and 17,928 females); Volta, 31,866 (18,049 males and 13,827 females); and Upper East, 19,009 (9,759 males and 9,250 females).

A visit by The Ghanaian Times team to some centres revealed high level of confidence in the students at various examination halls.

Anita Nyarko reports from the Kaneshie Kingsway “A” Junior High School Centre that 316 candidates were present for the English Paper.

The Supervisor at the centre, Mrs. Rosemary Anakwah, said the examination started on time with one girl absent.

The Senior Supervisor at the Kaneshie Kingsway “B” JSS, Mrs Adelaide O. Akpini, said the centre had 291 candidates from of 10 schools but added that two candidates did not turn up for the paper.

The Accra Academy Centre “A” had 251 candidates out of which two absent.

Mr. Samuel Abbey, the Supervisor at the centre, said the first paper went on smoothly without any problem.

An elated student of the Universal Academy at Bubiashie who spoke on condition of anonymity said the English Language Paper One gave her the hope that she would excel in the exams.

Ernestina Boateng reports from Osu Presby Cluster of Schools that at 9am, all 500 candidates for the two centres were seated for the English paper.

The Metro Director of Budget, Mrs. Lydia E. A Sackey, together with the Accra Metro Director of Education, Mrs. Rosata Sackey were at the Osu Presby Cluster   of Schools centre to ensure that all logistics were provided.

Mrs. Sackey told the candidates their teachers had taken them through the syllabus and it was now their turn to give account of what they had learnt.

She said government and their parents had invested much in their education hence the need for them to work hard to determine their future.

The Supervisor at Osu Presby Cluster of Schools Centre “A and B”, Mr Akushey Quaye, assured that the invigilators would do everything possible to curb any form of examination malpractices by candidates.

From Sunyani Daniel Dzirasah reports that five of the 20 candidates for the BECE in the Sunyani Municipality were said to be pregnant.

Three others were reported dead while two allegedly travelled abroad. No reason was assigned for the absence of the remaining 10.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Brong Ahafo Regional Minister, Justice Samuel Adjei, who toured some of the examination centres urged on parents of the pregnant candidates to encourage their wards to go to write the examination.

Pregnant candidates, he said, were eligible to sit for the examination since they had the potential to further their education after delivery.

In a related development the Education Ministry has threatened to sanction any supervisor who prevents pregnant candidates from writing the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).

A Deputy Education Minister, Alex Kyeremeh, in an interview with an Accra local radio station, asked the supervisors to “see these children as their own and should not harass them.”

Most often, pregnant candidates are prevented from writing their examinations due to their condition, a situation both civil society organisations and the Education Ministry have on several occasions warned teachers and supervisors against.

Mr. Kyeremeh said: “There is no law that barring pregnant candidates from writing the examination. They are entitled to the examination.” From: Yakubu Abdul-Majeed, Sangnarigu.

 

 

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment