14 Extremists Killed In Military Raid In Egypt

At least 14 extremists have been killed in a military raid in the early hours of yesterday in Egypt’s restive Sinai Peninsula, an official security source told Xinhua.

As many as 47 people were arrested in shoot-outs that occurred near Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah cities in North Sinai bordering Israel, the source said.

The forces destroyed 18 terrorist hideouts including houses and huts used as strongholds for targeting the army and police forces, military spokesman Mohamed Samir said in a statement.

The forces also seized six cars and burnt eight motorbikes during the security crackdown, the statement said, adding that 13 tunnels for smuggling drugs between Egypt and the Gaza Strip have been destroyed.

On Saturday, three civilians including two children were killed and nine others injured when a mortar round hit two houses of Sheikh Zuweid city.

Also, 26 extremists were killed in military raids that continued from Friday afternoon until Saturday evening at Sheikh Zuweid in response to the killing of two police and military officers by gunmen.

Surge of attacks by extremist militant groups mounted mainly in the restive Sinai Peninsula and some other provinces across the country, including the capital Cairo, since the military ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last year.

More than 500 soldiers and policemen have been killed across the country in revenge for the harsh security crackdown on the major sit-ins of Morsi’s supporters in August, which left at least 1,000 dead and thousands arrested.

Sinai-based al-Qaida-inspired Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis group claimed responsibility for most of the attacks against the security personnel.

On the other hand, the military in coordination with the police have launched a wide-scale operation to uproot the crime hideouts in the Peninsula. — Xinhua

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment