100 houses at Klefe to be demolished

A fragile building at Klefe

A fragile building at Klefe

ABOUT 100 weak houses at Klefe and Ziavi in the Ho municipality have within the past two weeks been earmarked for demolition by the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).

About 300 people within the two communities are likely to be homeless as a result of the exercise, aimed at enforcing health and safety measures in the municipality.

Mr. Kwasi Attor, Ho Municipal NADMO Co-ordinator, who disclosed this in an interview at Ho yesterday said the exercise, which began on August 12, would continue until all weak structures were either renovated or razed down.

He said once a building had been identified as unsafe, its owner would be served with a notice before the demolition would be carried out in three weeks, “in collaboration with the municipal development task force”.

Mr. Attor said water reservoirs that posed a danger to human lives would also be removed.

He said, a total of 30 NADMO officers drawn from all the 18 zones in the municipality were taking part in the exercise.

Mr. Attor said after Klefe and Ziavi, the exercise would be extended to Hodzo, Taviefe and Matse.

The Municipal NADMO Co-ordinator was quick to add that in cases of renovation of unsafe buildings, the cost would be borne by the owners and not NADMO.

“There are situations in which cement blocks are used to support the roofs of houses, and that poses danger especially to children,” he said.

Mr. Attor appealed to builders to adhere strictly to building regulations and maintain the buildings regularly.

From Alberto Mario Noretti, Ho

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment